History & Staff

We have years of experience caring for families, from all walks of life. Each family comes to us because they know we are leaders in our profession, dedicated to excellence in service, and have the highest integrity.

History of the Funeral Home

History of the Funeral Home

In the photo to the left: Nicola Rossi on right with hearse driver on left, funeral for a child on Weaver Street, Schenectady, 1913.

Nicola Rossi and his brother Dominick emigrated from Alvignano, province of Caserta, Italy in 1903 and settled in New Haven, CT. Dominick worked with a funeral director and attended an embalming school in New York City. He then moved to Schenectady in 1907 and opened a funeral parlor. Nicola followed in his brother's footsteps and arrived in Schenectady in 1908 to join the new established family business. Shortly thereafter, in 1913, Dominick moved to Ohio and as time passed, his five brothers emigrated to Schenectady and joined him in Ohio where he established four funeral parlors. These funeral parlors were located in Cincinatti, Akron, Niles and Warren, Ohio. Dominick then returned to New York, settling in Utica where he established another funeral parlor.

Nicola’s first funeral parlor was located on Jefferson Street near North Broadway, at the time it was Center Street. The funeral parlor was then relocated to 21 North Jay Street and in 1928, Nicola purchased the building on the corner of Union and North Jay Street, where the funeral home is still in operation. These new quarters made the transition from home funerals to funeral home services easier and more accommodating to the families needs for a lager "parlor" and ample parking for guests, yet being close to the family home.

Nicola married Rose Cipriano in 1910 and had two sons Edward C. and Albert P. Rossi. In 1932 and 1939 respectfully, they joined Nicola's firm to become N. Rossi and Sons.

Such as the days, sometime in the middle of winter and late at night, when calls were received to go to a house where someone had just died. Once, Edward recalled his father Nicola, hitched up a horse to a sled and drove out the old River Road alongside the Erie Canal, now Route 5S, to Rotterdam Junction. It was a cold winter's night but the undertaker was needed.

Nicola Rossi retired in 1952 and died in April 1972. The original building which included the first funeral parlor and the family residence, on 21 North Jay Street, was torn down in 1979 to be used for parking.

In 1996, David J. Ditoro, joined the firm as a funeral director and partnered with the long time family firm. The funeral establishment then became Rossi & Ditoro Funeral Home and still remains a private family concern for over 100 years.

Our Valued Staff

  • Edward  Rossi

    Edward Rossi

    Edward was born in 1912, the second son of the late Nicola and Rose Cipriano Rossi. He was a graduate of the old Schenectady High School. Ed then went on to earn his degree in Mortuary Science from Simmons School of Mortuary Science in Syracuse, NY.

    Following college, he joined his father, Nicola Rossi and later his brother Albert, in the family partnership of N. Rossi & Sons Funeral Home. He was a member of the Schenectady County Funeral Directors Association, the New York State Funeral Directors Association and the National Funeral Directors Association.

    Edward is a parishoner of St. Anthony's Church, where he is a life member of the Holy Name Society, a Trustee of the church and was an usher for numerous years. Ed was also the former president of St. Anthony's first Church Council.

  • David J.  Ditoro

    David J. Ditoro

    David was born in Ellis Hospital, Schenectady, the son of Marjorie and the late Ralph S. Ditoro, Sr. He was educated in the former St. John the Baptist and St. Mary's grade schools. He attended Bishop Gibbons High School and graduated from Notre Dame-Bishop Gibbons High School.

    Before high school, David had developed an interest in funeral service, so it was natural that he apply to colleges for mortuary science. He chose funeral service as a career choice.

    He graduated from Simmons School of Mortuary Science in Syracuse, NY and Herkimer County Community College, in Herkimer, NY, with an A.A.S. degree. While attending Herkimer, David worked at C.J. Applegate Funeral home in Ilion, NY and later Butler -Badman Funeral Home in Syracuse, NY.

    He served his residency at Frederick Funeral Home in Albany. Upon being licensed he joined the Frederick staff until the mid 1980's. Seeking advancement he worked at Keyser Funeral Service in their firms in Kingston and Port Ewen, NY. David returned to Schenectady and was associated with the former DiCarlo Funeral Home for several years.

    With a growing family and an opportunity that presented itself, he accepted a position with a fortune 500 company. He worked with that company until 1996 when he partnered with the Rossi Brother’s.

    David is a communicant of St. Anthony’s Church in Schenectady; a member of the pastoral council of St. John the Evangelist and St. Anthony’s Churches; he served in several offices in the Sons of Italy Lodge; a member of the Knights of Columbus Council and Fourth Degree; Rotterdam Elks Lodge; Rotary and the former Lions Club.